Where has the week gone? I can’t believe that it’s already Friday. Between appointments, school committee meetings and of course my Stampin’ Up!-related work, this week has passed in a blur.
Today’s card was a collaborative effort between Soph and I, and was based on a similar card we saw in the Paper Crafts Holiday Cards magazine created by Heidi Van Laar (pg. 70). She had created a snowman card out of layered circles, and I thought is was so cute that I had initially decided to re-create it exactly. Then Soph thought it would be really cute with a hat instead – and then we started working on the hat together…and it just evolved from there! I have to tell you that I had so much fun working WITH Soph – because we’ve always lived so far apart, it rarely happens. Anyways, here’s how we made the card:
- Fold a 4 3/4″ x 4 3/4″ piece of textured Whisper White CS in half. Lay a Coluzzle circle cutting system on top of it, and make sure that the fold of the CS is slightly outside of the circle. Cut out the largest circle on the Coluzzle (it’s about a 4 3/8″ diameter circle).
- Cut out a 3 3/8″ circle out of textured Whisper White CS. Cut a 2 3/8″ circle out of textured Whisper White CS.
- Sponge the outer edge of each of the circles lightly with Basic Gray Classic ink and a wedge of a stamping sponge.
- Layer and stick the circles one on top of the other with a double layer of Stampin’ Dimensionals. Note that the circles are not centered on top of one another.
- Punch out a star out of Pumpkin Pie CS using the large star punch. Cut off one arm of the punched star – as you cut it, rather than cutting it straight across, cut it so that it is slightly curved. Sponge the outer edges with some Pumpkin Pie Classic ink.
- Stick the nose to the face with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Create the face using black rhinestones.
- Punch two snowflakes out of Chocolate Chip CS using the snowflake punch. Use these two snowflakes to create the arms (you cut off everything except what you need).
- Stick the arms to the snowman, by putting a little glue on the end, sliding the end underneath the top circle and sticking them down.
- Take a 5″ piece of Real Red Polka Dot ribbon and tie it in a single knot. Fray the edges by pulling out some of the threads.
- Stick it to the snowman with mini glue dots.
- Punch a wide oval (2″ x 1 3/8″) and two smaller ovals (1 3/4″ x 7/8″) out of Basic Black CS, and one of the smaller ovals out of Real Red CS using the Stampin’ Up! oval punches.
- Sponge the edges of each of the ovals with Q-tip and a little bit of Whisper White Craft ink. Dot some Signo White Gel pen on the edges to create dimension.
- Stick the ovals, one on top of the other with Stampin’ Dimensionals, so that they are offset. Cut the very edge of the Real Red oval and stick it just underneath the middle oval with 2-way glue – it creates the illusion of the band of the hat.
- Hand cut a couple of holly leaves out of textured Old Olive CS. Color them with a Certainly Celery and Old Olive Stampin’ Write marker.
- Punch out two 1/4″ circles out of Real Red CS. Add shadows to them with Real Red and Bravo Burgundy Stampin’ Write markers. Add some highlights with a Signo White gel pen.
- Stick the holly leaves to the hat with 2-way glue.
- Stick the hat to the snowman with Stampin’ Dimensionals. You’re done!
All products are Stampin’ Up! unless otherwise noted.
Ink: Basic Gray Classic ink; Certainly Celery, Old Olive, Real Red and Bravo Burgundy Stampin’ Write Markers
Paper: Whisper White textured CS, Old Olive CS, Real Red CS, Basic Black CS, Pumpkin Pie CS, Chocolate Chip CS
Accessories: Stampin’ Dimensionals, mini glue dots, 3/4″ Real Red Polka Dot ribbon (available in Stampin’ Up!’s clearance rack), wide oval punch, large oval punch, circle cutting system, snowflake punch, paper snips, Signo White Gel pen, black rhinestones, star punch
*NEW* Swing Fold Mini Scrapbook Album
Share both your holiday memories and your holiday wishes with friends and loved ones with this one-of a kind swing-fold mini album. This 6” x 6” album holds 6 photos making it the perfect little gift or treasured keepsake this holiday season!
I’ve put together a digital tutorial (i.e. no supplies included) for $22.95 CAN (international orders welcome) which includes a step-by-step photo tutorial including a full supply list for all THREE versions of the album and a cutting guide. Because the album is a bit more challenging to make, as part of the digital kit you will have access to a private web page with two videos – one on constructing the album, and the second one with tips on embellishing the album. You can purchase the tutorial by clicking HERE.
Gift Card Holder Ornaments:
Looking for a beautiful way to give your gift cards this holiday season? Then check out our three new tutorials in our all new Projects à la Carte store. There are three different tutorials to choose from, and each tutorial is $4.95, or you can purchase the bundle of 3 for $12.95. For more details and to see how big they are click HERE.
This month’s classes in the store:
Vintage Christmas Class Planner & Stamp Class by Email
The old-fashioned feel of this vintage card set will warm your heart and bring to mind memories of Christmas’ past. In this class you’ll create these four cards and coordinating vintage card box featuring the Welcome Christmas stamp set and Deck the Halls DP. For more details on the class planner version and to purchase it, please click HERE. For more details on the Stamp Class by Email version, and to purchase yours, click HERE. You can find more great class planners at the Demo to Demo store.
Candy Cane Christmas Workshop Planner
This month’s workshop planner features the Comtempo Christmas stamp set. If you are looking for value and substance in a Christmas set, then this is the set for you! With a low price point, and a combination of images and greetings available in the stamp set, you will find this to be perfect for creating cards for everyone on your list, and all while never breaking the bank. Not sure how to run a workshop, needing a boost or just running out of time? With the Candy Cane Christmas Workshop Planner, we take all the tears and fears out of workshop’s for you. For more details on the workshop planner and to order yours, please click HERE. You can find more great workshop planners at the Demo to Demo store.