Friday Fun Folds Video Tutorial: Matchbook Gift-Card HolderPosted on: Friday, September 4th, 2009
What? A video?….but it’s Friday, not Tuesday! That’s right folks. Today I’m introducing another video feature to my blog that I’m hoping will become a weekly Friday feature which I call ”Friday Fun Folds Video Tutorials” (remember though, just like with my Technique Tuesday Videos I’m NOT making any promises that I’ll get a video out EVERY Friday - I’ll do my best, but we’ll see *lol*). So what exactly IS Friday Fun Folds? These will be videos featuring cards and 3D projects that are all created by cutting, creasing and folding paper & CS. Now while SOME of the projects MAY be originals, MOST of the projects will be things that are already floating around the internet like gate-fold cards, spinner cards, view master cards, waterfall cards, slider cards etc. So why am I doing this? First off because they’re plain fun to do. Second of all because it’s always nice to see someone else’s “take” on a card. Lastly because I’m trying to build a comprehensive video tutorial library for you that you can come back to over and over again when you’re looking for instructions on how to do a particular project. Sound okay?
My first fun fold project is a little matchbook gift card holder that I designed around Stampin’ Up!’s small open-ended envelopes. Now matchbooks are nothing new and neither are gift-card holders. And I’m sure someone somewhere has probably done something like this before. I however did not follow any person’s project, pattern or idea. I just grabbed my stuff, started playing around with dimensions and came up with the project below. You can see a side view of the matchbook here:
Here’s a view of the gift card holder open:
The video you can watch on how to make this is below. I do have to tell you though that once again I had to laugh as I was filming and then watching it. It seems inevitable that there’s ALWAYS some kind of a blooper no matter how many retakes I try. It took me 4 tries to finally get the video you’ll be watching – each one there was something different that went wrong. In this one my cutting blade popped out of the paper cutter when I put the cutter away down on the chair beside me and skittered across my wood floor with a clickety clack noise. Then, as I was trying to “gently” insert the jumbo eyelet into my tag, there ended up being nothing “gentle” about it – all of a sudden it seemed to decide that it just didn’t want to fit in the hole and I practically had to wrestle it in the hole all the while explaining that you had to be gentle *lol*. Oh well, maybe by the 100th video I do it will be perfectly polished….or maybe not *lol*
Here’s the written directions on how I made this card:
- Cut a 3-3/4″ x 11-5/8″ piece of Pretty in Pink CS. Score it at 1″, 6-3/8″ and 6-5/8″ using your paper trimmer with scoring blade. Crease along the score lines using your bone folder.
- Stamp your greeting from the A Little Birthday Cheer stamp set on the 1″ “flap” at the bottom of the matchbook in Basic Black Classic ink - pay attention to the orientation of the greeting as you want make sure it is right side up when your matchbook is closed.
- Mat a 3-1/2″ x 4-3/4″ piece of Kaleidoscope DP onto the front cover of the matchbook. Set aside for a moment.
- Stamp a cupcake from the Crazy for Cupcakes stamp set onto a 2-3/4″ x 3-1/2″ piece of Whisper White CS in Basic Black ink. Color in the cupcake with a blender pen and watercolor wonder crayons. I colored in the base of the cupcake with Creamy Caramel and added shadows with Close to Cocoa. I colored in the icing with Pretty in Pink and the sprinkles with Pink Passion. I colored in the candle with Pink Passion and the flame with Yoyo Yellow. Glue on pink beads from the pink bead duo onto the sprinkles with Crystal Effects.
- Mat the Whisper White CS piece onto a 2-5/8″ x 3-5/8″ piece of Pink Passion CS. Flip it over. Place about a 1 1/2″ piece of Sticky Strip along the top edge of the CS mat and Snail adhesive on the rest. Center and stick the image to the Kaleidoscope DP on the matchbook cover. Set aside for a moment.
- Take one of Stampin’ Up!’s small open-ended envelopes and trim the envelope so that it is 5-1/8″ long – make sure that the end you trim off is the open end with the flap. Punch a 1/2 oval out of the top front edge of the envelope using a wide oval punch.
- Stamp a balloon from the Crazy for Cupcakes stamp set onto the envelope. Color in the balloon with a blender pen and a Pink Passion watercolor wonder crayon. Add Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the balloon using a 2-way glue pen.
- Grab your matchbook, place the bottom of the envelope in the crease of the 1″ flap. Staple the 1″ flap closed (to hold the envelope in place) with 2 staples (you want them to be less about 1/8″ up from the bottom edge).
- To create your tag take a 3-1/4″ x 4-3/4″ piece of Pretty in Pink CS. Punch out a wide oval from Pink Passion CS and fold it in half over the edge of the Pretty in Pink CS. Stick it in place with Snail adhesive.
- Punch a hole through the wide oval tag with a Crop-a-dile. Insert a pewter jumbo eyelet and set with the Crop-a-Dile. Tie a 6″ piece of ribbon through the hole and trim the ends.
- Stick your gift card to the tag with one mini glue dot. You’re done!
I hope you enjoyed this video. I’ll be drawing some winners for the Secret Comment patrol tomorrow. I was going to today but frankly at the moment I’m exhausted. It’s been a long and busy day and I’ve had enough of working *lol*
Click Here to Order your Stampin’ Up! Products Online 24/7! (Canada Only)
Stamps: Crazy for Cupcakes (111618), A Little Birthday Cheer (115018)
Ink: Basic Black Classic ink (101179)
Paper: Pretty in Pink 12″ x 12″ CS (106546), Whisper White CS (100730), Kaleidoscope DP (115680)
Accessories: Bone Folder (102300), Paper snips (103579), Snail adhesive (104332), Wide Oval punch (112082), blender pen (102845), Bold Brights Watercolor Wonder Crayons (106695), Earth Elements Watercolor Wonder Crayons (106696), Soft Subtles Watercolor Wonder Crayons (106697), pink bead duo (110752), Crystal Effects (101055), Sticky Strip (104294), Small Open-ended envelopes (107286), 2-way glue (100425), Dazzling Diamonds glitter (102023)